Château de Burnand witnessed a rich history. Located in Southern Burgundy, it is near the medieval town of Saint Gengoux the National which was known as being the King’s favorite country resort in the 18th century because of its “Fountain of Youth”.
The original castle dates back certainly the 13th Century and is now frequently called "The Castle of Sleeping Beauty."
The oldest part (the basement) would be thirteenth or fourteenth century. The oldest documents known today cite the family Cajod as the owners in the XV Century. Originating from the Bresse and Macon area Cajod become the lords of Burnand in 1453. Their emblem still stands in a stone façade of the castle today. At some time in the 17th century the castle served as home for an Augustinian monastic community. They inhabited the chateau for about 150 years. Various details in the architecture remind us of this bygone era.
|1625||One of the lords Cajod is killed during a campaign in Italy where he fought in the regiment Uxelles (lord Cormatin).|
|1642||Lord Cajod's widow gave the domain to the Congregation of Discalced (Barefoot) Augustinians, a mendicant order.|
|1643-1790||Between 3 and 9 resident monks at the castle, transformed it into a priory. They exploited the chateau and its environment until the French Revolution. During the Revolution, the castle was declared a "National Asset" and is administered "in-house" by Brother Louis, the only survivor of the Community.|
|1791-1818||Following the sale of National Property, the castle was sold and passed into the hands of various owners.|
|1819||Its last owner, Denis Lyons Berliet, offered it to his friend John Van Risamburgh. For the first time in its history, the castle hosts the Dutch in its walls. He was the son of an emigrated Dutch family, artist and furniture-maker. The chateau served as a favorite source of inspiration, Van Risenburgh immortalized the castle on canvas many times. The father and two brothers lived there until 1848. When they sold the castle to the family of Bernard Lavernette. This family originated from the old aristocracy of Beaujolais, owned several properties in the region.|
|1866||Anatole Bernard Lavernette undertook a complete renovation of the castle to settle with his family ten years later. They transformed the castle into its present fairytale-like castle.|
|1990||Famous Dutch painter Nico Vrielink lived here with his wife Jeane Seah, and two sons. They worked at the castle for several years. A number of his works and her sculptures are to be seen in and around the castle grounds.|